It’s almost 2015, bitches. Let’s do this.
- “I have arms. I’m a pretty good fighter.” – Academy Award winner Marion Cotillard.
- “You have to have Darth Vader, you can’t just have Obi-Wan Kenobi.” – Inherent Vice scene stealer Josh Brolin!
- “I can’t look at myself in the mirror if [my] standup sucks; that’s like being a chef and cooking a fake cake or something.” – my longtime hero Jenny Slate, whose fantastic performance in Obvious Child would have my vote for Best Actress.
- “He’s just a totally fucked-up mess for the rest of his life. But a strong one.” – Logan Lerman on his character in the WWII thriller Fury.
- “Until I can find the emotional truth of the character, by sitting with people and hearing their experience—that’s the only way I can find how to emotionally connect.” – the faaabulous Michelle Monaghan (just Golden Globe-nominated for her work on True Detective) on her indie showcase Fort Bliss.
- Director JV Mercanti offered some useful advice I’d never heard before…
- Eric Tucker of up-and-coming theater company Bedlam is making some truly tremendous theater to get himself and his friends on the map…
- Micah Stock gets to share a stage with Nathan Lane and Stockard Channing every night in It’s Only a Play…
- Curious about how some of 2014’s best movies were cast? Check out The Grand Budapest Hotel‘s Douglas Aibel, Pride‘s Fiona Weir, Interstellar‘s John Papsidera, A Most Violent Year‘s Tiffany Little Canfield, & Selma‘s Aisha Coley…
- And most importantly, 33 pieces of advice from actors who chatted with Backstage this year!
- A very exciting 2015 Broadway season preview,
- the 2015 L.A. theater season preview (although I don’t live there),
- & the SAG Awards are coming to kick off awards season aka the real holiday season.
Last but not least,”How to Balance Dick Jokes and Dictators.” Yes indeed, this is my up-close-and-personal interview with The Interview, which as you probably know was withdrawn from theaters after Sony was cyber-attacked by – holy haircut! – North Korea.
P.S. Some favorite child actors (wook at their wittle faces!!)